Didn’t think Tough Mudder was a spectator sport? Think again. Attending a Tough Mudder will leave you with a lasting memory, even if you don’t get dirty in the process. Tough Mudder spectators are welcome to soak in the energy—as Mudder athletes conquer obstacles—and participate in all of the on-site activities available in the Mudder Village Festival.
Tough Mudder Spectator Tips
If you’re planning to cheer on your team from the sidelines, check out these Tough Mudder spectator tips first in order to make it through event day from the other side of the ropes.
First things first, all spectators are required to purchase a spectator ticket. You can do this online prior to the event or at the event site. We highly recommend purchasing ahead of time. In addition to entry to the event your ticket will provide you free parking and a free beer (US only). Tickets are not needed for children 12 years and younger.
When you arrive onsite you must go through a similar process as the participants, checking-in at any registration kiosk to receive a wristband and your beer tickets. You may use any line to check in and will be asked to show your QR code and a form of identification if you are planning to redeem your beer ticket. If you arrive onsite and haven’t yet purchased a ticket, you may do this at the Mudder Services tent.
Check the Map
We’ll have maps available for you both printed onsite and accessible via a QR code scan showing the course layout, spectator route, obstacles, and—maybe most important—the Mudder Village Festival. Review these ahead of time so you have a plan when you get on site. Pro Tip: Save a screenshot of the map on your phone in case cell service is spotty.
- Most events feature two labeled spectator routes– one marked with red flags and one marked with purple.
- These are typically off-road paths alongside the participant course and may feature uneven terrain.
- The average spectator route is 1.5 to 2 miles in length.
- Spectators are welcome to bring strollers, wagons and other carriers for kids, but know that some terrain may be unsuitable to certain wheeled carts.
- Water will be available for spectators in the Mudder Village Area and on course at the Spectator Outpost. We recommend bringing a refillable water bottle.
- Portable toilet facilities are available in the festival area and at the Spectator Outpost on course.
Check the event page 1 week out from the event date to get the map.
Know Before You Go
- Pick a few obstacles to meet your team at for prime photo-taking opportunities. The facial expressions you’ll catch at Mud Mile, Arctic Enema, Funky Monkey, Everest, Mudderhorn, and Electroshock Therapy are ones you’ll never want to forget.
- Our courses may not have much shade– you can grab hats at the Mudder Gear Shop and free sunscreen at Mudder Services and Info Hub.
- With your Spectator & Mudder Village Pass, you get a complimentary beer! Stop by the beer tent and redeem your green wristband for a frosty one on us. In most venues, you’re allowed to bring this on course with you– look out for signage.
- You’re welcome to bring camp chairs and wagons to help you and your family navigate the course, but no large coolers or grills are permitted. We’ve got plenty of picnic tables and seating in the festival area that you’re welcome to use.
Explore Mudder Village Festival
Did we mention how epic the Mudder Village Festival is going to be this year? From mouthwatering local eats and frosty cold beer (a freebie is included with every spectator ticket), to killer live entertainment, lawn games, and awesome giveaways, you may be tempted to skip the “spectator” part and just hang out.
- There will be portable toilets and water stations located throughout the Festival Site.
- Please bring a water bottle to fill up at the water stations.
- A spectator outpost is located on course with water and portable toilets.
- In the event you’re feeling unwell or injured, please flag down a mobile medic or visit the medical tent in the festival areas.
Tough Mudder 5K, 10K, 15K and Endurance Events
- Tough Mudder 5k: The average 5k participant takes 1.5-2 hours to complete the course. View them at the start line for their start ceremony, and then follow the spectator route to see them on the 5k course. Make sure you’re following the green-marked course on the map.
- Tough Mudder 10: The average 10k participant takes 2.5-3.5 hours to complete the course.
- Tough Mudder 15k: could take upwards of 3-5 hours to complete. Wear comfortable shoes that can withstand a bit of mud, pack a few snacks, and get ready to experience something you’ve never seen before.
Toughest Mudder is a 12-hour race through the night, from 8:00 pm Saturday to 8:00 am Sunday. You’re not just a spectator at this event, you’re officially a pit crew member. This means in addition to what you would bring to a normal Tough Mudder, you need to be ready to motivate your athlete through one of the hardest experiences of their lives. Pack appropriately for overnight conditions. Also snacks. This is your test run for the ultimate pit crew experience: World’s Toughest Mudder.
World’s Toughest Mudder
World’s Toughest Mudder is the most extreme, insane, pulse-pounding, heart-stopping 24-hour obstacle course challenge on the planet. For this event, you’re either a committed pit crew member, or a day-time spectator.
Spectator: A day-time spectator at World’s Toughest Mudder doesn’t need any more preparation than normal Tough Mudder spectators. There are plenty of options for food and drinks in the Mudder Village Festival. World’s Toughest is a 5 mile loop, so all of the obstacles are within a reasonable distance from the Mudder Village Festival.
Pit Crew: As a member of the carefully selected (up to) four-person pit crew for your World’s Toughest Mudder athlete, you’re responsible for a slew of things: constant motivation, fueling your runner with plenty of snacks and drinks, stretching them and keeping them warm in between laps, and really anything else they need. Remember, they’re the ones running for 24 hours straight after all…
Ready to support your team? Spectator tickets are available for purchase on our event pages.